Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Deal breaker




"Sister missionaries talk about their missions way more than elders."
-Whispered the good-looking guy in front of me in during sacrament meeting while a sister who just got home from her mission described an experience she had had

I know I'm biased.

I know I talk about my mission a lot.

I can't help it! I have two sisters out! I get their emails twice a week. I email them the night before their P-day too. I'm thinking about "my missionaries" four out of seven days a week. I can't help it.

Really.

I read a funny blog post about deal-breakers today. And was asked by a friend what a deal-breaker for me would be.

A Lauren Kay Deal-breaker:
Someone who generalizes sister missionaries in a negative way.
Or, "sister-haters".
Or, someone who thinks girls shouldn't serve missions.

For me, that's a BIG time deal breaker. And practically unforgivable.

You know why? Because I love my mission. I didn't always have the fondest feelings for it, but I love my mission and I realize I always have. It means a lot to me and I don't want to feel belittled or demeaned because I gave up that time in my life to do something I truly believe in.

And, I can tell you now that I probably will not be friends with the cute boy who sat in front of me during church.
(Even if he did have glasses and attractive scruff and a nice colored gray suit.)
It's still a deal-breaker and left a bad impression.

6 comments:

Erika said...

Lauren, I love that you talk about your mission so much. It makes me so excited for mine :)

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh! I totally know what you mean! Just recently this guy told me not to let this guy i was going out with that I had served a mission. I was like "What?!" YEah, total deal breaker for me too. I loved being a missionary! And I love the two girlsies in your picture too. Some of my favorite people!

Amy Lovell said...

That's a legit deal breaker to have for someone who served a mission. Glad you came up with an answer.

Madame Palmkey said...

Maybe they talk more about their missions because they wanted to go instead of serving so Dad would buy a car. Does that make me an Elderhater?

Melissa said...

I think you're totally right. I didn't serve a mission but...come on?! Who makes fun of sister missionaries? By the way, your Poland stories were always awesome--just keep talking!

Troy said...

Okay, you could still be friends with the "cute guy." Maybe he was just making an observation that, hey, sisters talk about their missions more than elders? If you were friends with him, you could help him have a better attitude about sister missionaries. Do you think Troo or Koo wrote this?