I think it has been established that I like to bake. Like a lot.
So when it came to my attention that my roommate was throwing a birthday party for her sister at our house I decided I would volunteer myself to be the cake baker.
My inspiration came from these two cakes:
Meaning, I baked the cake on the left and then did whipped cream and strawberries like the one on the right.
It was delicious. Lots of people liked it. Many told me how good it was. I was feeling like a really awesome cake maker. (You know, thinking stupid things like, "I should always make cakes." "I wonder if I could open a bakery." "I hope everyone here wants me to make a cake for their birthday.") Until I walked into the living room and talked to some new guy who I--
a) had not met, and
b) didn't know his name, but he has a stupid name, think Mormon church history type name*, and
c) have since decided we probably won't be friends, which I told him so later...
--told me that the cake was dry*.
Who tells someone they don't know that their food was bad??
Someone with no tact*. That's who.
And the worst thing is, he was right.
There were some inherent problems with the cake. The fact that I baked it the day before and left it in the fridge for almost 24 hours before releasing it from it's cling wrap binding; or that I didn't give it enough time to warm up to room temperature before serving; or the fact that the whipped cream didn't get a chance to seep into the cake and soften it up a little either, all contribute to the problem.
But give me a break! I had a really busy day!
(I was also humbled at my softball game on Saturday, did I tell you I'm on a softball team? I'm on a softball team. But I was humbled at the game when I showed up to play, feeling really awesome because I had had a really good practice the week before and had been told that I had gotten, like, 110% better, which is saying a lot really because I'm not that good, but I think I could be good, but this is my first time ever playing so cut me some slack ok? But at my game Saturday I stunk it up so bad (try striking out more than once) that I was actually subbed out for more than one inning, try half the game. And you know who subbed me out? My roommate's boyfriend. Yup, that hurt. And I had thought the league was all about having fun! Guess I was wrong there...)
So since this was a really long story I'll give you the quick summary of what I learned this weekend:
1. I'm not that great of a baker.
2. I'm an even worse softball player.
3. Guys with church history names* aren't that nice* and probably won't be your new best friend.
4. Strawberries purchased at Trader Joes are DELICIOUS.
5. Even if one person says your cake is bad it's ok because this cake was gone in record time. So, it must have been really good.
*deal-breakers.
picture are from Martha Stewart and I am Baker

6 comments:
Please feel free to make many more cakes, and I will eat them all.
Or anything for that matter and I will cobble them all up so fast you'll be wanting your own TLC show before long.
I didn't even realize you were keeping score on Saturday. I thought people played softball for the company and the fresh air. That's the only reason I would play. Well, I don't ever play because I'm a magnet for getting hit and hurt by fast moving balls.
I was at a birthday party in Provo about to eat a mint-chocolate-chip cookie when my friend Austin tells me, "Ew, those are disgusting, don't eat them." I smiled a tight-lipped smile, weighed whether or not it was a good idea to tell him I had in fact brought them to the party, then decided to take the high road and walked away, and ate my delicious cookie. Some people just can't stand the mint. Stupid Austin.
PS I'm going to be listening for new guys in our wards' names... and I'm going to be immediately judging any Brigham or Heber I meet, just for you.
So what you're saying is that the guy isn't Mr. Right?
Cakes are the bane of my existence. (not to be overly dramatic or anything) I'm just not good at them. I follow a recipe perfectly that everyone says is the best, most moist, light-crumbed cake EVER and it's dense and dry. The only cake I have ever felt I got just right was this one http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/ and that's why I make it ALL THE TIME. I've made it as pictured twice (delicious, but deadly) but usually use different frostings/toppings. I don't think you can go wrong with that one, and it's east: ONE BOWL! I'm not a fan of the usual way to make cakes with the creaming butter and sugar, adding eggs and then adding dry ingredients and buttermilk/milk/hot water/whatever in turns.
Anyway, sorry about your not-so-happy experiences.
If you bake the cake ahead of time (a day or so before) put the cake in the freezer instead of the fridge. Take it out just before frosting it. Not only will it be easier to frost because there will be less crumbs, but when it thaws, somehow it contributes moistness without getting soggy. It doesn't take long to thaw out, just enough time to frost the cake before the party and then sit there looking pretty until it's time to cut the cake and eat it. (File that away as a "Kay's Tip" because that's where I got it. ha, ha) That guys a Triple though.
I just have to tell you that I think you an awesome writer, and hilarious too. I hope I get to see you again soon.
McCaye
hahahaha- church history/BoM names are SOOOOO deal breakers! :D Amen to that!
Post a Comment