Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Right vs Left
I have a problem. I frequently tell people to turn left when I really mean right or to turn right when I really mean left. Which I did not 30 seconds ago.
"Where the hell does _____ ______ sit?"
"Down that aisle, he's on your right."
Then I realized ____ ____ sits on the left but the person had already marched down the aisle and I didn't feel like yelling above the cubicles to tell him I was wrong. Besides, he's our White House liaison so he's kind of a big deal and I'm feeling a little sheepish that I don't know the difference between my right and left.
Also, why do people think just because I'm young that it's all of a sudden ok to swear? Not that I really care, it's just sounds weird coming out of the mouth of a professional. And really, is hell really the best word to use in the situation? Wouldn't a, "Hey, where does ___ ___ sit?" still get the point across? Do you think that by using hell I'll be able to tell you faster where someone sits? Or maybe by using hell I can beam you over to his exact location? This phrase has also been used in conjunction to find my boss. "Where the hell is ___ today?" I want to tell Mr. White House liaison that he's probably cool without the swearing, but that's just awkward. The only thing that could be more awkward is yelling above the cubicals stuttering that ___ ___ is on the left not the right!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ha ha, totally agree. HELL YES. (but srs)
I still have to pause and think when I have to give left or right directions--it just never ingrained in my brain. I use the "L" trick sometimes, but usually I picture a piano keyboard and think, "High notes = right, low notes = left..." ;)
I, too, have a problem with my right vs. left. It's weird. Also, re: swearing. I cuss a lot. I don't mean to, but sometimes it just comes out of my mouth. Maybe Mr. White House Liasion is the same way. Is he from New York? Us New Yorkers tend to swear a lot.
Post a Comment