Thursday, October 13, 2011

Obnoxious Commute

picture of me, Meg and Lincoln from this weekend,
it really has nothing to do with this post, i just thought a picture necessary


Today's commute was especially obnoxious. Everyone was bugging me. And when I say bugging me I really mean buuuugging me. Seriously. They were so obnoxious!

Bus: There's this guy who is on the bus everyday. He's always listening to his music. He is always standing at the front of the bus. And you know what bothers me about him? He NEVER moves back when more people come on. NEVER. "The driver on the bus says, 'Move on back, move on  back, move on back...' all through the town." No, the driver says "move on back" and this guy stays right where he is, firmly planted at the front of the bus while I have to squeeze past him, just to find a place to stand, and he DOESN'T. EVEN. MOVE. Gah. It buuuugs me.

Metro: I hate the rolling suitcases/briefcases people carry around. They make it difficult to get in and off the metro because you don't realize there's one in front of you until you've tripped over it. That happens daily. But what I hate even more is the people who don't think consciously about the people around them and whether or not their bags, their briefcases, or their suitcases are encroaching unnecessarily into other people's space. Today, I'm just standing on the metro, minding my own business, chatting with Lisa, when some guy with a HUGE shoulder briefcase/bag thing keeps pushing his way into me. First I feel the bag just below my bum, and that's always awkward when something is touching your bum and you aren't sure if it's a bag or someone else's body (the worst). So this guy keeps backing up, backing into me, pushing me with his bag and if I didn't move I was going to run into someone else who was staking out their spot by the door in the corner. So I moved to be more comfortable. But what does the guy do? He doesn't even realize he totally pushed me out of my spot and he continues to move in pushing his bag into everyone's space. Idiot.

Escalators: The escalators in DC are notorious for being constantly under repair. There are three escalators at my work metro stop, one elevator, no stairs. One escalator is at one end, it changes direction depending on the time of day (up in the morning, down in the evening). And then the other side has only had one working direction escalator for the past month or so. Annoying. Today however they only had the one side open. The other side was being fixed. So what does that mean? A THOUSAND people have to go up and down on the same escalator causing congestion and annoyance to yours truly.

But now it's 10 and I am not so annoyed anymore. Maybe it's because I wrote it all out? Or maybe it's because I had a piece of chocolate? Either way, we'll never know until I step on that bus tomorrow and Mr. I'm-So-Into-My-Music-I-Can't-EVEN-Budge-An-Inch sets it all off again.

(On a side note, I usually don't mind public transportation at all. I enjoy not having to pay a cent to get to work or enjoy my time in the city on the weekends. And never having to find parking? Awesome.)

2 comments:

Camille Richey said...

llll....i HATE when people aren't aware that their rolling suitcases/backpacks are taking up enough space for 2 more people to be walking behind them. whenever i walk with a rolling suitcase, i always try to keep the actual suitcase next to me instead of leaving my arm fully extended behind me. not only is your arm intruding someone else's space but the handle takes up room, and that's not even counting the room the bag takes up! some people.... they just don't get it.

Unknown said...

haha Lauren! This is soooo true. If someone pushes up against me, I usually try to push back and act like I don't know I'm doing it! lol This post makes me miss you and DC!!

PS I just tried to post this and it didn't work so this is round two. Sorry if you get this comment twice! :)