Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Dome of the Rock!
I have always wanted to go to this place and was very excited to finally do that today! (And yes I am wearing the frump of frumpy most dorky of outfits ever. A dress pulled down to be a skirt and an Oregon Ducks T-shirt, my Camelbak and Chacos. And sweating profusely.) It took us a while to get there because there are a lot of restrictions regarding non-Muslims. We had to walk through the Western Wall area to get to where we go to get on Temple Mount where the Dome of the Rock is. The crazy thing about going to the Western Wall and also to go up on Temple Mount is that you have to go through an airport security like screening to even be able to enter the area. We had to do it twice to get to the dome. When we got there I was so excited and just in awe at how beautiful it really is.
The highlight though was definitely these girls:
They both came up and were making clicking noises and acting out taking pictures. We asked if they wanted some with us and took a bunch of pictures. The girl in the pink ended up yelling for some other kids to come over, so we got pictures with a bunch of super cute Palestinian kids. The girl with the veil spoke pretty good English and we chatted simply for about 15 minutes. She was 12, the other one is 10. There was another girl too who was 13 too. I wish I could remember their names, because they had beautiful names and were just too cute. The only word they taught me that I remember was the color for white, it sounded like o-bee-aad, which is the Polish word for lunch, and I’m pretty sure that’s the only reason I remembered it, and that might not even be right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment