The privious post was from June 27th, I forgot to date it. Here is what I wrote for the 28th:
Shabat
Today was our first shabat at the Jerusalem Center. I went to choir this morning in which we sang the cheesiest song I have ever sang. It was about love and peace on earth and sounded like the type of song that some has-been singer in a swanky suit, singing at a peace convention for senior citizens. I don’t think any of us could take it seriously. Church was good, one of the speakers (my roommate actually) sounded like she could be the next General Young Women’s President. Her talk was really good though. After church we went to the Garden Tomb (I was in a hurry and didn’t change to more comfortable shoes and got caught wearing my gold gellies, my feet were sore). It was cool to have a lovely little tour by a cute British man. He bore his testimony a few times throughout and also described how dying by crucifixion works. It was terrible! My favorite part was going to see the tomb and our guide telling us that they obviously can’t determine if this was the ACTUAL grave that Jesus was buried in, but he didn’t care because it was empty and that is all that really matters. He was very animated and emotional about the entire tour. Here are a few pictures from that:
The scull of Golgotha:
Me in front of the tomb:
Me with a couple people at the tomb:
Inside the tomb, there was a iron gate that kept tourists back away from the "beds". Next to the fence, there were two women chanting in another language and sobbing, literally. It was interesting and moving to see how other people are affected by holy sites. Overall, it was a really neat day, and next time I go I won't have to do the tour, and it'll be less touristy and more spiritual.
No comments:
Post a Comment