Friday, January 30, 2009

Lovely, just lovely

I was really stressed this week trying to get things done and I couldn’t wait for the weekend, but in retrospect, it was a really good week. So, I’m going to give a little recap of my week by either what I learned in my classes (whoop-dee-do you’re thinking, but it is kind of interesting… I think).

1. Impressionism class: I don’t know what to do with my life, but I do know that I want to go to Europe. Everyday we look at paintings of Paris and all I want to do is to be walking down the Rue Clair eating a Nutella/banana crepe. Then I think about Vienna and waiting in line for standing room seats at the opera or walking down Kartnerstrasse stopping in H&M or Mango as I make my way down to Zanoni and Zanoni’s. And then I think about being in Poland and taking a little break for ice cream at Café Zetka.

These are from Poland. Top is from Krakow and the bottom from Gdansk.

2. Pearl of Great Price class: We discussed the purpose of questions in the scriptures and how they are for our own introspection. They help us to be accountable. I guess that’s why whenever someone asks me a question about something I should be doing and I haven’t been doing it I feel defensive. So when anyone asks me what I’m going to do when I graduate I get upset and slightly angry and then stressed.

3. Revelations class: I love this class. I think it’s fabulous. We have been talking about how there is a distinct plan that the world will follow and nothing will frustrate it. He uses the analogy (and I love analogies) of a composer and his symphony. The composer has just written notes on paper but to give it life he needs a conductor. Everything is written into the score, even discord and dissonance. But in order to give his symphony life he needs a conductor. In a way Christ is our conductor. Nothing will frustrate God because he’s already written it all in. I just thought it was cool.

4. Southern Baroque Art class: We’ve been learning about the Carracci family and especially Annibale (it’s pronounced Anee-ba-lay not Annabelle for something like that. That’s how I kept saying it). We were talking about the Farnese Gallery and how he was able to make it look like architecture. See, look how cool it is:

5. Bookbinding: I skipped it this week, but here is a picture of the book I made last week.

It's paste paper I made, sewn with white thread.

6. Calligraphy: I found a quote that I’m doing for my calligraphy project next week. It’s from Peter Pan (the play). I’m really excited about it. "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." While I practiced this week I watched North and South. It’s my new favorite movie. I loved it. And now I'm thinking about reading the book. Read this quote: "The clear conviction dawned upon her, shined bright upon her, that he did love her; that he had loved her; that he would love her." (Elizabeth Gaskell, N&S Chapter 25). I can't wait!

This Mr. Thorton with Miss Hale in the background.

There were also other good parts about the week. I wrote a paper, and got it done without staying up late or having to wake up early. I went to Pilates which is always fun despite the pain I'm in at the end. Dinner group went well on Monday. I made an egg bake and coffee cake. (I decided we'd have breakfast for dinner. And apparently that's what "Break the Fast" on Sunday is. Whoops. Well it's the Superbowl anyway. Not that I even know who's playing.) And best of all this week is I exercised reasonable self control in a lot of areas of my life and am still happy about it. (Cryptic. Yes. I don't want the whole four people who read my blog to know my deepest, darkest secrets!) And best of all, I'm going to see Thoroughly Modern Millie with Emma tonight and our tickets only cost $2 because Emma is a clever girl and in the Honors Program. Lucky me. Well until next time, you know you love me, xoxo.

3 comments:

kristen kathleen said...

ZANONI & ZANONI'S!!! Ahhhh! I love that place! That was where I opened my mission call with my dear friends on study abroad. =) Man, weren't those days in gorgeous Vienna the best?!?!

Olivia said...

I know all your secrets. MWA HA HA!

Jules AF said...

I have walked down streets in Paris while eating a banana/nutella crepe. It's heaven.