Wednesday, June 10, 2009

tired

So I'm a big kid now. I have my plane ticket bought, I just worked a 40 hour week, I have rent to pay and a few other minor expenses. But I'm still just a big kid, or maybe big baby, which was evidenced by my outburst this morning.

Yesterday was my sister's 16th birthday. She got sick and I picked her up from school early (during my lunch of course). She threw up all afternoon. What a great way to spend your birthday right? But she did get to open her presents later which included Step Up 2 and a feather headband from me. (The headbands came in a three pack--Target--and I kept two for myself. What kind of present giving sister am I?) But we stayed up late watching the entire movie and all I wanted to do afterward was dance. When I got up to bed I had the same exhausted feeling I feel whenever I come back from a particularly rowdy dance party. (Usually the one where I'm out of control, dancing on couches, jumping into dance circles of people I don't know, moving my body like a cyclone, and walking it out like an absolute maniac.) But I couldn't fall asleep. Just like I can't do when I leave a good party. I think I talked on the phone after one till three or four in the morning because I was so wired. It's a good thing I didn't have any caffeine or I would stay up all night! So, back to last night. I laid in bed contemplating the mysteries of life, not, but tried to will myself to sleep. Evenually it worked because this morning I got woken up by my dad telling me one of his office workers was sick and that I would need to come in and work for her. I started crying. It wasn't just a regular throat hurting, tears welling up in the eyes cry--you know, the ones that start when you're saying goodbye, or trying not to cry in front of a group, or when you're speaking in church, or when you're watching a movie. This was an all out, sob. I rolled over in bed and the tears just came as my body shook, my mind angry that I thought I was going to get a day off and I hadn't slept enough and I knew I was going to be running around on my feet all day taking care of patients. I eventually forced myself out of bed, told my dad I could probably be there by 8:30, looked for my scrubs, and climbed in the shower. I was still teary, but now they were angry tears filled with emotion. I grumbled about how dumb it is that the gal who is "sick" just had a four day weekend, then worked one day and then wants another off. She gets a four day weekend every weekend! Interrupting my literal crying and moaning was a knock, my mom, telling me that the "sick" lady was going to work. I huffed in frustration, this time because it would have been nice to know this before I got in the shower so that I could have climbed back into bed and slept more, but the water had sufficiently done it's job and woken me up. I put on my gym clothes so I'm ready for my run with Pups, our dog.

The moral of the story: Don't bother me when I'm tired.

3 comments:

Amy Lovell said...

Man, growing up is rough! Welcome to what it's like to be a big kid...I warned you, it's overrated!

MKShelley said...

I hate growing up. I wish I could be 19 my whole life. It's young enough to be irresponsible without anyone expecting anything else from you, and old enough to do whatever you want in life while your parents are still paying the bills.

OMG... "moving my body like a cyclone, and walking it out like an absolute maniac" - BEST LINE EVER - Please write some cheesy fluttery pop song and then throw those lines in there!

One more thing - I feel exactly the same way about !!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish there were an in between from the period to the exclamation. Oh well!!!!!!

Carly April said...

hahahahah oh lauren i miss you like crazy. you are one of a kind, g-friend...