Friday, February 24, 2012

Gag Reflex

(Note: If you don't like animals, maybe you shouldn't read this whole post. Just read the first paragraph and then skip to the star or something.)

Starting a couple days ago I am house/cat sitting for a coworker of mine. I am a DC resident for two weeks (I like to think of it as a trial run for moving into the District) and I'm living alone. And after two nights I'm loving the quiet, the peace, even the company of the cats.*

Except I'm hating one thing. The litter box. Ew gross, just the thought of cleaning out the clumps of sandy cat waste is grossing me out. Grossing me out so bad that yesterday I bought gum to chew so I wouldn't smell, and then I plugged my nose for good measure. No smelling but then I just started gagging. Serious gags, like I'm about to puke gags. And I don't want to lean over the toilet and throw up in there because that's where I just scooped that sandy pee clump. Ewwww. Shudder.

And I have 12 more days of it. I'm afraid to clean out the box. I really hate throwing up.

Any advice from cat owners, lovers out there?


*That makes me sound like a sad cat lady. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or not. I'd be ok with a dog. A dog would be much better. And I wouldn't mind the dog coming up and trying to get me to play with it. These cats, unfortunately for them only get the minimal attention. That's kind of sad for them actually. I'll be nicer if they stopped running away anytime I wasn't feeding them. (And maybe if it wasn't for the whole litter box thing.)

4 comments:

Amy Lovell said...

Sorry, I have no advice for you. My cats were all outside cats because I refuse to clean out a litter box. Nastiest thing ever! How am I going to change a diaper? I think I'm doomed...

GreenTaiwan said...

Potty train the cat. My cousin did it and now the only thing he has to do is flush the toilet. There are kits you can buy too. P.s. I'm Kristen Irvine's husband.

Unknown said...

A litter box is better than picking the dog poop off the sidewalk with a little baggie. That grosses me out!

AJ Candrian said...

You could always wait until the litter box is "full" enough that you can just throw the entire thing out and fill it with new litter entirely. Then you don't have to pick gross things out, you can just dump the entire thing.