Saturday, July 25, 2009

Clams and Lobstah

I ate real lobster for the first time last week in Maine. And by real lobster I mean lobster straight out of the shell, not a lobster roll, or lobster added to a dish or anything like that. We stopped at a lobster shack that had six brick water boilers outside and walked in looking clueless into the shop. My dad told the guy we wanted lobster. The guy smiled and opened a huge cooler full of live lobsters. He pulled out two one and a half pound lobsters, their little legs and antenae things wiggling around, and weighed them before putting them in a a net bag and handing them to the boy working (who wore a Polish soccer team shirt and when I talked to him later, in Polish I might add, that he is living and working in Maine for the summer) to boil. It was kind of sad to think about the poor innocent lobster that were about to take their deadly jacuzzi bath, but while we waited for our lobster to be done we ordered steamed clams, a lot of steamed clams. Here are some pictures of our seafood (not "see- food") experience:

My dad was really excited about all the food, the clams and later the lobster. My sisters didn't like them much but ate them anyway. Emma wouldn't hardly eat any of them she thought it was too gross. I thought they were good though, but most things are good when they're dipped in butter. Paula Deen would be proud.

These pictures show us trying to eat/shell the lobster. My dad breaking the claws, me tearing the tail off, trying to get the meat out of the tail, and taking off the small legs to get the meat out. I couldn't help thinking that there was meat everywhere in those things!

While we were eating we had lots of stares, a couple friendly pointers and questions about it being our first time eating lobster. How could they tell? The fact that we were taking pictures? Or the fact that we were slightly grossed out by the green liver? Or the loud level of speech? Either way, it was fun and lobster is really tasty. But I'll keep buying it the easy way, already shelled.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I vote the loud talking is what got attention. That's how the fam rolls.


And I still miss you.

Anonymous said...

That sounds gross and tasty.