I have this need to bake. I don't know what it is. Maybe its because I like to create. I should probably find a hobby that's more gentle, and forgiving on my waistline. Cake is good, and I feel like it's pretty hard to mess up a cake. Right? But pie? Pie is hard. Actually, let me rephrase that, pie CRUST is hard. There's a science to it, to make the crust flaky and buttery and hard enough that it doesn't all fall apart as you dish the pie up but also is easy enough to cut with the side of the fork.
If you haven't already guessed, today is Pi(e) Day (you know, 3.14 or March 14th) and my former aspirations of holding a party where everyone brings pie and maybe having a contest
(ala Rockstar Diaries) totally didn't happen and I'm kind of bummed out about it.
BUT, that being said, that doesn't mean I can't still attempt to perfect pie crust any time of the year.
7 comments:
I totally understand your need to bake!! Anytime I bake, I take everything to work and let those people eat it. That way I still get to bake but am not forced to eat all of it! And my coworkers now all think I'm like Martha Stewart...ha.
Pie sounds so good! I know what you mean about the crust though- those things are tricky. I eat it pretty much however it turns out though!
Oh! A fellow baker! I bake at least three times a week, usually more like 5 (including desserts and breakfasts). But I'm not much for fancy stuff that requires rolling, piping, kneading etc. Mostly the basics. I don't think I've ever made a real pie crust, I stick with press-in ones. Sad, I know.
And cake is easy!?! For some reason cakes just don't work out for me. I have found a couple of great recipes that I love, but every time I venture out to try a new one it comes out too tough, dense, dry etc.
Anyway, happy to know you're a baker too. If you are serious about wanting to bake less, stem the tide now, or you'll end up like me, eating sweets every day for every snack and then again for dessert. So bad.
Lauren,
Let Strange Girl help a sister out. I too love a good flakey buttery pie crust and have searched for the secrets of unlocking that beautiful crust. This is what I have learned.
#1 Freeze the butter first. That's right, stick a stick in the freezer.
#2 When butter is completely frozen, take it out and grate it with a cheese grater. You'll get perfect little slivers of butter. Put back in the freezer while you get the rest of your ingredients.
#3 Use ice water. The colder your dough the less the ingredients will melt together and get pasty. If you want flakey it needs to be cold.
#4 Mix with your hands. You don't need the dough to be perfectly blended together. Just get it to a point where everything sticks together. The butter slivers is what makes it flake when it bakes. (I sound like been Dr. Seuss)
Hope that helps. I have made several pie crusts that have turned out so good. Good luck and happy pie-ing.
I have a good recipe for pie crust. Its all about the temperature of the ingredients -- I see Caryn has already addressed this. I absolutely stand by her -- frozen butter, ice water. Its the only way to go.
You know if you make apple pie, you MUST bring me in a slice. It's probably my all-time favorite dessert. I love your ambition!
TOTALLY understand the baking frenzy. I discovered I can use beans to make healthier desserts and have gone nuts. HealthiER doesn't make a difference when I'm eating three pieces of cake a day!
Post a Comment