Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Birthday Week


Summer always means vacations, and swimming, and reading lots of books (I currently have three and a half to read on my kindle and a long wish list), and MY BIRTHDAY. And I plan on making all of these happen this week.

It is officially my birthday week. My birthday is in exactly 5 days. Hooray for me! In celebration of that, I am searching for cheap gold dishes online, and gold articles of clothing. Because it is after all my GOLDEN Birthday!*

(Speaking of gold, I've been slowly, and I mean slooooooowly, plucking my way through the latest biography about Cleopatra (Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Swift) and in it she ate on gold plates! "...The meal itself appeared on gold dishes...that tableware showcased both Cleopatra's adaptability and her competitive instinct. When Alexandrian luxury began to make itself felt in the Roman world, Cleopatra renamed her ostentatious tableware. Her elaborate gold and silver place settings became her 'ordinary ware'.")

Things I would like to do during this birthday week:
  • bake--and I will, because I'm making my own birthday cake, I want an awesome one, ok?
  • read--the goal is to finish one of the books before my trip next Tuesday (one week! eeeek!)
  • swim--perfect plan for Saturday afternoon
  • go to a concert--oh perfect! tickets already purchased for Legwarmers on Saturday
  • go to the movies--seems like a perfectly reasonable request
  • get Dairy Godmother--favorite flavor ever is there today and tomorrow (Summer Pudding)
  • shop--easily done. probably after work one of these days
  • have a party--done. and done.
So there you have it folks, it is going to be a great week. The only thing that could make it any better? A/C that works. Seriously, we're melting.

*for those who aren't aware, according to wikipedia, a golden birthday is: "A person's Golden or Grand Birthday, 
also referred to as their 'Lucky Birthday','Champagne Birthday' or 'Star Birthday', occurs when they turn the age of their birth day (e.g., when someone born on the 25th of the month turns 25)"

pictures taken while figuring out my new pocketbooth app and then reconfigured really ghetto-ly using Paint to make them go across the screen. i'm really cool if you didn't know. happy birthday week to ME!

3 comments:

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Post pictures of the cake!

Also, for some reason I think that 2nd picture of you looks like it came out of an ad in a fashion magazine, lol.

Lauren Byers said...

Happy happy birthday!! That list looks like a perfect one for your birthday week :)

Stephanie said...

Please let me know if you need any additional golden decorations. I'm all stocked up. Happy Birthday!!