Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recommendations?


Today is the first day of Autumn. Which means, I change the background of my blog to match the new season and mourn the fact that I didn't get to do as much in the summer as I wished and also rejoice in the fact that I will (hopefully) not sweat profusely every day. (Maybe I'll even be able to style my hair!)

Good thing about autumn is the National Book Festival, and it's this weekend! It's one of my favorite weekends of the year and I'll be skipping the ward service project to go. And, don't judge me, but I'm super, extra excited to hear Sarah Dessen* speak... yeah, I'm like a 15 year old girl.



I've been lacking in my book reading as of late. My New Year's Resolution was to read four books a month. Technically speaking one of those was supposed to be non fiction, but I really struggle with non- fiction, despite feeling like I should like it more. I think it's because when I meet someone who reads non-fiction I think they're smarter, better educated, and more sophisticated than I am. But that's also because I tend to gravitate towards things like Sarah Dessen... But then again, maybe I just don't have a good non-fiction eye to find the good ones. But I'm off subject now.

Back to the resolution. So far I have read 34 books and I'm two books short for this month, and last month I only read one. (Good thing I read like five on my Europe trip this summer!) And I'm going to need to read 14 more to hit my goal by the end of the year.

So, what I'm asking is for a book recommendation from you. I know I have a handful of smart, well read, blog stalkers out there. Please hop over from your Google reader and leave me a comment with a book recommendation. Pretty please? I really want to read some good stuff this Fall and favorite book recommendations are always the best.

I like a wide variety of books, so no recommendation is off. Some favorites and I suppose recommendations for you include: In Cold Blood; Ella Enchanted, Jane Eyre, The Power of One, The Truth About Forever (my favorite Sarah Dessen); The Princess Bride; The Book ThiefThe Lost Hero (but perhaps start with Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief--bad movie, fun book, especially if you love Greek/Roman mythology); aaaaand last one, duh, Harry Potter 1-7 (if you haven't read these you're really missing out, even if you "don't like fantasy").


*She writes realistic teen romance novels not vampire stuff. And I like her. Like I said, I'm probably about 15...

14 comments:

Amy Lovell said...

I'm so sad I'm going to miss this. My sister and parents are flying out there to go with Andrea this weekend, I was supposed to come, but well, that's not happening!

This is an easy read but I think it's so good, it's called, The Cellist at Sarajevo by Steven Galloway...seriously, it's SO good. If you haven't already read it, do it!

laura said...

You need to join Goodreads! Then we can recommend books to each other all the time (btw, I read "One Day" after you posted about it and loved it).

I haven't read anything in a little while that is super recommendation-worthy (except, of course "One Day") but here are a few past faves: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (I feel like you've probably read this already), Bossypants (non-fiction!), Never Let Me Go, The Things They Carried, The Shadow of the Wind. OH, and have you read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? That is a favorite for sure. And if you like YA, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is a fun one.

laura said...

OMG you ARE on Goodreads!

laura said...

Okay one more and then I swear I'm done: have you read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand? I feel like you probably have, but just in case, put that on your list. It's non-fiction and it's AMAZING.

Metro Moments said...

Lauren! I LOVE your blog. And, here I am all the way from my google reader to leave you a comment.

Keep in mind I am in a children's literature class this semester. So my recommendations will be good and easy reads.

Non-fiction: Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance. By: Jennifer Armstrong. (I know... But, it really is good. I was surprised too!)

My other favorites, which you have probably read- The Giver, A Wrinkle in Time, Charlotte's Web, Because of Winn-Dixie, and Holes. (These are all classics in my opinion. Even if you read them when you were younger, they are worth another few hours of your time!)

And... last but not least- The Last Lecture. By: Randy Pausch (My non-children's book recommendation)


You need to come back up for a visit! -Amber

Madame Palmkey said...

In that Juvenile Fiction category:

Matched -- my friend characterized it as if Twilight and the Hunger Games had a baby. She's about right.

The Princess Academy/ The Goose Girl -- fairytales/love

Entwined by HEather Dixon -- fairy tale

The Invention of Hugo Cabret -- but it is mostly pictures and art so you really can't kindle it properly.


Beauty by Robin McKinley (I think you'd like anything by Robin McKinley)

Tuck Everlasting
The Search for Delicious


Those are my light fluffy favorites.

Erin said...

Amy-I like the Cellist of Sarajevo too.
Laura-ditto on Never Let Me Go. Actually ditto to all the books you listed (except Shadow of the Wind-I'll have to read it).

And I don't know who posted Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World but I LOVE that book.

Okay Laur, in the interest of you reaching your New Years Resolution I'm only giving you nonfiction recs here you go:
Anything by Bill Bryson (I'd start with I'm a Stranger Here Myself or A Walk in the Woods or A Short History of Nearly Everything
Freakanomics
Outliers
FBIGirl (memoir)
Ghosts of War (memoir)

also I'm reading Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other. Liking it so far...

amy kay said...

Book of Lost Things by John Connelly (I can't remember how to spell his last name)

Brief History of the Dead

Unknown said...

We have so much book love in common! I am reading the last of the Dragon Tattoo series. Definitely good books, if you're into that sort of thing.

But I usually get my book suggestions from you! So, I am sure you'll find something awesome.

elyssa said...

i'm all over young adult historical fiction--does that count? ; )

cuz if it does, some asian input for you: To Swim Across the World by Ginger and Frances Park is awesome and virtually nonfiction, written by 2 sisters about their parents' lives in n/s korea before they met and came to america; Elephant Run by Roland Smith is WWII burma on a teak plantation (i thought it looked to 14-yr-old boy for me but really enjoyed it)

i would second the recommendations for shannon hale books; discovered her this summer and read and loved all of them.

and if you want a hefty nonfiction and haven't read Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling yet, i would totally and completely demand that you read it. heavy, but amazing cultural analysis, in mon opinion.

ummm what else. i had a summer of reading at my job babysitting a woman with dementia, but i can't remember any of the 5 gajillion titles at the moment, so i shall get back to you ; )

oh but a totally fiction totally bizarre one that i love: Eucalyptus by Murray Bail, australian. bizarre, bizarre. and lots of people probably hate it. but if you ever find yourself with a copy, try it. it's awesome.

longest comment ever. done.

mandi winterton said...

My sister-in-law wrote a book "The dark divine". I don't believe in twilight but i may have LOVED her books. read up.

Kathryn said...

"Conversions" by the highly esteemed Craig Harline. You'll really like it.

Kathryn said...

Oh, and "Conversions" fits your non-fiction category.

Lloyd and Kay said...

Books, hmm. Here's one I read that says it is more authentic on the Mayflower than anything we have learned in school. It's a good book and our ancestors were here before the Mayflower. The name is Mayflower by Nathanial Philbrick. Another I found interesting was Meeting Amazing Grace by Gary & Joy Lundberg. It's about relationships with each other. I think you would like it.