Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Jess's Accident

I was vague after putting pictures of Jess up yesterday. I wasn't trying to be so vague, I was attempting to show that despite her being in the ICU on Friday and Saturday she's not nearly as bad as it looks. Fail.

So here's the story as far as I understand. Friday was Bike to Work day in DC. Jess and Michael and a few others, including Michael's doctor mother went for a bike ride on Friday. The path was crowded. Somehow Jess and Michael bumped into each other while riding side by side and Jess took a fall that resulted in her landing on her handlebars and cracking her ribs and somehow lacerating her liver. The liver bleeding stopped on it's own thank goodness, so she didn't need any kind of surgery to repair it.

She is no longer on oxygen or morphine. When I went by the hospital yesterday she was perky and happy and looking a thousand times better. She still moves slowly but she is healing well and seems to be making good healing progress.

4 comments:

Lauren Byers said...

yikes! I hope she gets better soon! that sounds awful! At least she has you there to come visit her :)

laura said...

Poor Jess! That's terrible, but I'm glad she's on the mend!

Annie said...

Ya, I'm not gonna lie, the previous post did kind of make me nervous. Like, what the heck is Jess doing in the ICU anyway? Thank you for telling the story. With that said, I'm so sad for Jess! Well, for Michael too, cause he's probably super bummed about it. I rode my bike to work on Friday-though no broken ribs to report. Good thing too, cause a tumble over my handle bars wouldn't have bode well for baby-mcaferty. Please tell Jess I love her and I'm glad she's healing and feeling a little better!

Lisa Marie said...

Whew. Glad my guess was wrong. And it's good to hear she's recovering so quickly. I hear broken ribs are not fun. She'll probably be slow moving and sore from that for a while. Good luck Jess, get better soon!