Yesterday I had aspirations of writing my thoughts about September 11, 2001 but got side tracked by work.
Yesterday I wanted to write about how it affected me and how I still thought about it when I was in New York last weekend.
Yesterday I wanted to write about how I commute to work using the Pentagon metro stop and how I think about that day long ago when I was still in high school with no thoughts about actually moving to the east.
But today as I woke up and have read news articles and personal stories of those directly affected by the tragedies eight years ago I don't feel like any of my thoughts would mean much. I grew up in the west. All my family is in the west (minus my sisters who are in Malaysia, Helsinki and Paris) and I will most likely, some day, settle in the west again.
But just because I'm from the west, it doesn't mean that day didn't affect me, and doesn't stay with me now. I just know I will never be able to understand the way those who lived it understand, but I'm still American and it's still my country that I love.
No comments:
Post a Comment