"Make all the white people feel welcome!"
-O'Jays during the opening of the summer concert series at the Ronald Reagan Building
Everyday from 12-1:30 there is a free concert at my building's plaza. Today was the opening. It was packed. It was absolutely full of people dancing, screaming, and cheering for The O'Jays. And I didn't know who they were. I seem to think I know a lot of stuff. I like to think all those nights listening to Super Gold on Oldies 99.1 taught me the names of groups. Au contrair. It taught me to sing along with every oldies song out there. I should have known The O'Jays, they have quite a resume. But, being one of the few white people there and it was obviously a generational thing, I had a awesome time people watching, and trying not to sing, "one of these things was not like the other"...
And, it was a fantastic concert. Absolutely fantastic.
Here's a video of them from the 70s though they aren't rocking the matching white suits they wore today:
No comments:
Post a Comment