As of yesterday, I gave my employer my 3-ish week notice to say I was leaving. But I'm not leaving my position. I am just moving over to be an employee of the government instead of an employee of a government contracted company. I will have better pay, better benifits and some pretty solid job security. Yesterday as I walked to the metro to go home, I realized making the decision to take the direct hire--that's what it's called when you are a direct employee of the government, not a contractor or fellow etc-- was a career choice. Not just a new job that would teach me more skills that would some day help with a future career, but a real career. And I chose to make a career working for the government, and it was a strange feeling. It's not that I couldn't change career paths later if I change my mind, but it will always say on my resume (though it's not like a school transcript, so I guess I could take it off if I wanted...) but it will always say on my resume, USAID employee. It was kind of humbling to think how everything came together simply and easily. Yes it's true that I don't love my job, but then again, I don't know if I could find a job that allows me to bake, blog, read good books, watch British Period Films, get back into bookbinding, all while make money at the same time. So, I went out and bought myself a new jacket to celebrate.
P.S. I have taken over my sister Emma's blog while she's on her mission. If you are interested in reading her letters you can right HERE. She leaves the Preston MTC on Monday. But keep in mind, that we write long letters, so these are long posts (even though they've gone through two edits to make them less personal and more open internet appropriate).
P.S.S. I got a new book in the mail yesterday. It's called Drawing with the Right Side of Your Brain. I'm going to learn how to draw, and I'm going to be good at it. When I start, updates will be forthcoming.
3 comments:
usaid, huh? how big league adult are you?? congrats. one day i, too, will have a respectable job. or, more likely, not. oy ve.
thanks for the love. you keep posting, too!
did you start the drawing excercises yet? so excited to see your work.
You will be a good artist.
Post a Comment