Friday, February 18, 2011

Series Books

You know that feeling when you finish a book that you really liked, I mean really got into. The type that you find yourself dreaming about all night about the characters, you as a character, reliving the good or dramatic parts of the book? Oh, you don't get like that? It's just me? Well then, this is another disclosure on my nerdiness.

I love series books. And for some reason that seems really dorky to me. But, I love them anyway.

I love them because the story keeps going. I don't have to imagine what happens next in the story, because all I have to do is pop open the next book. I blame my love of stories on this. This is probably why I like TV and movies so much.

Last night I finished a new book, that if I had read the fine print would have known it was the first in a new series of five books. And the other five haven't come out yet. And will be coming out over the course of the next four years. Tragic for me, because I just want to know what happens next!

But, this got me thinking about other series books I have enjoyed. If you're looking for a good one, I'd suggest one of these.

Harry Potter (probably the best series ever. if you're a hater, DO NOT tell me, I don't care)
Anne of Green Gables (adds more background to the movie and Gilbert is just as fantastic, and I really just like the first three best)
Uglies Trilogy (Way more sci-fi than I thought I'd like but I ended up loving the whole series. Such an interesting concept, getting plastic surgery at 16 to get rid of your genetic traits.)
The Books of Bayern (the first is my favorite but I loved them all. Started from a lesser known Brother's Grimm Fairy tale, The Goose Girl and then developed into the series. Just really great.)
Peter and the Starcatchers (a retelling of Peter Pan, before he could fly and before he met Wendy, and it's written by Dave Barry and he's hilarious, so the book is hilarious. And the audio book is read by Jim Dale, the same guy who reads Harry Potter, and it's pretty awesome.)
The Hunger Games (loved these and couldn't sleep for weeks. And I still love Peeta.)
Twilight (yes I enjoyed reading them. Yes this embarrasses me. No I do not find Robert Pattison attractive, or even the character Edward for that matter, and no, you don't need a link for these. But I figure I should be fully disclosing.)
Shopaholic (probably one of the funniest series I've read. it's easy to like Becky but also easy to want to throw the book across the room in frustration with her dumb choices. And, it's way better than the movie. Though I don't think I made it past the third book.)
Sarah Dessen books (though not really a series, sometimes her characters overlap and I like that, favorites are The Truth About Forever, Just Listen)
Emily Giffen (mainly Something Borrowed and Something Blue, they go together, and Something Borrowed is going to be a movie coming out in May. I'm pretty excited about that. But there is a character overlap in Baby Proof.)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (the Greek gods are still alive, they've just moved to New York City, Percy Jackson, is part god, part human and will be essential in saving Olympus. These were awesome because I love Greek Mythology and I thought the writing was fun and energetic. )
And, finally my new favorite which is actually a companion series to Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus series (this combines both Greek and Roman Mythology and was so good, I'll be itching to get the second book this fall. If you're interested, read Percy Jackson first since characters from that series pop up in this next one. But over all it's fantastic.)

Oh yeah, most of these are young adult too. Does that make me a dork too?

Post Publishing Edit: I just remembered another series I loved, and added it above. The Books of Bayern, or the Goose Girl books. Fantastic too. 

7 comments:

Amy Lovell said...

Dang, you've read a lot of series. I can't say I love series, basically because they consume my life, much like the internet. Maybe I shouldn't admit that.

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, I am a nerd too!! I just love a series!! My sisters have told me about the Uglies, now I'm gonna have to read it! And I totally love Peeta too. I'm still ticked about the ending of that though. I mean, she never made a decision! And i love Anne with an E. No wonder we are friends.

Lisa Marie said...

I love series too. I'm always so mad after I read a bood that isn't a series and I can't live my life vicariously through the characters that I've come to love. I dream about my books too. And sometimes at night when I kneel down to pray I almost start praying for the characters to get help in their various problems. So... if you're a nerd, what does that make me???

My series right now? Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is AWESOME. Seriously awesome. Just make sure you read the book in chrolological order, not publication order. There are 12 books, the story just keeps going and going and going. And I'm in heaven.

Unknown said...

You read A LOT! You seriously must be a speed reader. I think I could learn a thing or two from you...

Adrienne said...

I LOVE this post! I'm always looking for another series to read for the very same reason, though you've read all that I have and much much more. I do recommend the rest of the shopaholic books, I'm very much in love with them. And there's a new one that came out called mini shopaholic or something like that.

Man I miss you.

Unknown said...

Lauren! i am so happy you made this post. I've been looking for good books to read. this was perfect. Thank you! ;)

LisAway said...

Oh, you're making me wish I had access to more books!! (or was willing or able to pay money for them)