Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tłusty czwartek or Fat Thursday

Today is Fat Thursday in Poland. The Thursday before Lent begins. And they make donuts, delicious, fresh, tasty donuts all over the city. And I want is a warm pączek (pronounced pon-check) with raspberry filling. (Not a rose filled one, I feel like I'm eating perfume.) Or maybe a chocolate one. My last year in Poland we ran into the elders at the best donut place in town. You can tell we were really happy:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

And that is the only photo documentation I have of Tłusty czwartek. Half open eyes, half my companion's face, chocolate covered lips but big smiles. It was a GOOD donut. That place was so good. So good in fact that I just had to get a picture out in front before I went home:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Gosh I look dorky... But what I wouldn't give for a hot pączek or hot drożdżowa from Drożdżowa Chata. Mmm!

5 comments:

LisAway said...

Happy Fat Thursday! Pączki are yummy but a good pączek is heaven. We didn't buy any at all today but I'm making donuts for dessert (for the first time). Not quite the same, but equally fattening, which is the main point.

Amanda said...

That's in Bydz isn't it?! Best ever!

Unknown said...

i have a nametag JUST like that!

Ewa said...

tłusty czwartek to moje kolejne urodziny!!!

Unknown said...

Hey! My missionary bag haha. That thing saw a looot of places.