Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Salted Caramel

A few months ago Laney and I were in Bethesda and decided to stop into their branch of Georgetown Cupcake before dinner. (Great idea to have dessert first. Also, side note about the Bethesda branch of the cupcake store? Zero line. It was awesome. I will never wait in the Georgetown Cupcake line.* Its WAY too long.) Anyway, they had a Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcake and it was divine. We loved it.

So when I asked Laney what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday last month, she asked for a Salted Caramel Cake. And Martha Stewart helped me out when I googled for a recipe and I ended up making the Sweet and Salty Cake by Baked Bakery in New York City.

The real cake, the one make by Baked Bakery is SO much prettier than mine. Check it out HERE.
I also want one of those spinning cake stands, but isn't this blue one cute?
I think this is my favorite picture of the cake. It was so rich the pieces had to be really thin.
And now the cake was totally destroyed but the layers were thick and the frosting was delicious.

Things I want to get better at:
  • making frosting. I don't know why but mine wasn't that smooth, and I had it mixing forEVER. Maybe my butter was too cold. But next time, I want it to look like professional frosting. 
  • frosting cakes in general. I don't think I'm BAD at it, but I'm not good either. I need a spinning cake stand and a frosting spatula.
  • making caramel. I may have burned it BAD and ruined a pot. It took me three tries to get it correct.
Would I do it again? Oh, you bet. It was really fun.

P.S. All pictures taken by the lovely Debbie.

*source

7 comments:

chelsea said...

You are such a becky homecky!! So jealous. The cake was devine!

mandi winterton said...

delicious! come out here and make me one....just kidding but not really.

LisAway said...

Evil!! I was going to say that I will definitely try making this but then I looked at the ingredients and I'm not so sure... Do you use a whole batch of that caramel ganache icing? Yikes. I would definitely make it but I would end up eating half of it... I absolutely love Pioneer Woman's salted caramel brownies, despite the fact that the caramel is too runny. It's just heavenly. And evil.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Salted? How interesting--sounds so good! You should link us to the recipe! (Unless you did and I spaced it)

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Yep, I missed it. XD

Mer said...

It was delicious! And now I want another piece!

Lloyd and Kay said...

Hi Lauren. That cake looks delish. I am going to make it for next week to surprise your mom and dad and Rachel and Jess, if they have been reading your blog. I wonder if you got the other two recipes of the Carmel with Salt and the Whipped Caramel Ganache Icing. They were separate on the MStewart site. There were some little tricks that she did to make it work. Knowing you, you probably did, but just FYI. Love you lots.