Monday, September 15, 2008

Oh Provo

Provo is the most unique place in there world. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love being here because I like school (despite the fact that I complain about homework and classes, I really do like school). And I love being here because all my friends (generally speaking) are here and so are my sisters. And there’s nothing really for me in Eugene. I could make new friends I suppose, and someday (most likely next spring) I will move away somewhere and I’ll be forced to make new friends, but this weekend made me realize how much I love and hate Provo.

Liz came to town, which, given her “rock-star status” we all got together. Erin came down from Salt Lake, Cath and Lindsay came over and we just vegged in Liz’s room at the Marriot. I love this. I love just being with people who I don’t feel the need to be on good behavior with or who I don’t feel the need to impress or make a good impression on. Saturday was wonderful as I woke up exhausted but happy knowing I was sleeping in the Marriot with Erin, Liz and Cath. I felt like I had taken a well deserved mini vacation. Sunday however left me slightly depressed when I was forced back into reality and realized that Liz is in New York, Erin is in Salt Lake and Amy who wasn’t at our little party is in DC. And then I had to come to the reality that I don’t see Cath and Lindsay very often because we have other things going on, and Steph is married. So now I realize how lonely Provo is without strong friendship bonds. As much as I love running into people on campus and idling away my afternoon chatting, I feel like there are rare times in Provo when I am able to make good and sincere connections with people and feel satisfied about those.

I love Provo because it’s fun and there is always something to do, but I hate Provo because it is such a shallow, “fun”, self indulging atmosphere and I haven’t been able to develop as many friendships that move beyond those as I wish. So I’ll just have to be better at keeping in touch with those far away and maybe try harder to develop those new friendships.

3 comments:

Amy Lovell said...

Thanks for the shout out! I was sorely depressed I wasn't in P-town this weekend. Provo is great, enjoy it while you're there, because before you know it, you'll be fored into being an adult.

As for the friends, let's face it, you're not going to find better than us! Can I say that? Is that too cocky? I love you!!!

Liz said...

Oh--Lauren you're the best! It was so hard leaving! I wish all we had to do was veg all day every day-haha...

And I know I've already told you a million times, but I have a great idea as to where you should move come spring!!!

Love you!

Kristen said...

I can relate to your Provo feelings. i miss it, but I don't. I think what I mostly miss is the people there... :)

And by the way, I LOVE YOU!