Friday, September 26, 2008

Talents

We had a rather successful flag football game on Tuesday. I don’t want to brag, but Cami told me I was the MVP. And thanks to that MVP status I have discovered a hidden talent. I am an excellent flag grabber. I can grab those football flags like the best of them. If your pants/underwear gets in my way, you might just loose them too but I’ll come out with the flag in hand. After years of searching for my talents and wishing that I had more outward talents like playing the piano or singing like my sisters, I finally have something that can show my awesomeness. I nail the flag every time.

On another note, I’m loosing my Polish. I used Skype today for the first time with my friend Ewa from Bydgoszcz. I was butchering that Polish. (And if Ewa leaves a comment and says I wasn’t bad, she’s LYING.) I sounded terrible. I sounded awful. It was more frustrating than anything because I couldn’t remember words and then when I forgot the word in Polish for some reason it was popping into my head in German! German! The language I took only to get my upper division language courses GE. The language I only stuck with because I thought Vienna looked like a really cool city and I wanted to do a study abroad.

So what did I learn today? I smothered my talent. I guess I understand the Parable of the Talents just a little better now. At least God is merciful and gave me a new talent. And yes, it may be small and insignificant, but I’m a dang good flag puller and if I wasn’t, we might have lost the game.

3 comments:

Amy Lovell said...

Polish, flag grabbing, German? Stick with the flag grabbing. That takes far more skill, far more precision, and far more brainpower than any foreign language could ask of you. I think that's a talent to add to the resume.

Ewa said...

Lauren! I wish i could see you grabbing those flags! I can just imagine that and everytime I do that I can't stop smiling!

And the winner for the best liar competition is....Lauren!
As I remember we were speaking polish almost all the time and I understood everything you said so if your polish is bad then mine is even worse!

Carly April said...

not to make everyone jealous, but i totally have seen her pulling the flags... and lets just say it's life-changingly amazing.