Sunday, September 28, 2008

Missing you

Dear Jerusalem,

I'm missing you today.
I miss the walk into the old city past the burning trash and little kids yelling, "Hello! How are you? What's your name?"
I miss being squished through the crowd when walking through Damascus gate and holding my camelbak or bag in front of myself because I'm paranoid I'll get pick pocketed.
I miss walking past the gummies that are so disgusting and so tasty at the same time.
I miss walking past the men sucking on their hookas and playing backgammon.
I miss free cold drinks at Shaaban's and the never ending possibilities of t-shirt decals.
I miss the Armenian nuns walking by on their way to church or the Muslim mothers in beautiful headscarves hold their children as they walk down the crowded streets.
I miss the little boys wearing kipahs and whispy earcurls as they walk down towards the Western Wall
I miss the hundreds of shop owners yelling, "Good price for Mormons!" as we walk down the street.
I miss the crowded colorful and sparkly bags and wall hangings adorning the Old City.
I miss the vendors who raise their prices as soon as they know I'm interested in something.
I miss the smell of falafel.
I miss the dome.

I miss being within a stone throw's distance of the Garden of Gethsemane and contemplating the mysteries of life in our special side garden.
I miss the view from the Sacrament Meeting room.
I miss the endless supply of friendly conversation.
I miss dinners on the balcony looking at the Dome.
I miss the bean bags in the Student Lounge.
I miss my friends.
I miss it all.

Thinking of you daily,
Lauren

P.S. Here are some more pictures that I've neglected to post previously.


In the Jewish Open Air Market


Standing where Jesus might have walked.


Mt of Olives


Touching the traditional Golgotha rock.


7 comments:

kristen kathleen said...

Lauren!!! Reading your blog made me totally miss Jerusalem all over again. Wasn't that the greatest experience ever?!?!?! I should write an ode to jerusalem or something. And btw, i would love to see your pictures! hope all is well, and hope that i run into you soon!

Emma said...

very poetic lauren

MKShelley said...

I think that you're blog is one of my top 5 favorites to read. I love the way you write and the way you think and see sides of things that others might miss.

Unknown said...

lauren. i found your blog. and i'm like crying. i miss jerusalem. so bad. let's go back now!

Kristen said...

awww laur, I miss it too!! So much. I looked at your pictures and haven't read all the lovely writing yet....I MISS IT SO BADLY! I'm glad I'm not the only one with such sentiments.

By the way, can I get these pics from you, please? I LOVE YOU!!

Meg said...

Oh gosh, thank you for posting that. Ya know, sometimes it feels like a total dream that we were there for two months. Does it feel like that to you? Hey thanks for chatting with me today. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

oh lauren, i feel ya, girl. i feel ya.