Monday, April 12, 2010

NYC Firsts

Firsts from this past weekend:
  • Eating sushi with chopsticks the entire meal and not being embarrassed or even frustrated. (This may not seem that big of a feat to you if you are a chopstick user, but for someone not totally familiar with it and who usually gives up when it's too hard, it was pretty big. And, I think I was ok good at it. At least the food only fell off once. And I picked up a single grain of rice too. I was pretty impressed with myself even if you aren't!)
  • Enjoying church, really enjoying church for the first time in a while. (Perhaps it helped that it was Stake Conference. I don't know why I haven't been enjoying church lately. Perhaps I get frustrated with stupid things said from the pulpit. Perhaps it's because I'm always sitting next to someone who will indulge in my boredom and chit chat with me. But yesterday was good.)
  • Getting from the West Village to Upper West Side and to a restaurant by myself. In the dark. (I'm afraid of the dark. I really am. And perhaps that's naive of me and overly cautious, but I am. I don't even walk home through my safe suburban neighborhood by myself in the dark. So I definitely wouldn't be doing that in a place I'm not familiar with!)
  • Brunch at Penelope (My friend Andrea is obsessed with this place. I think it's because all the male waiters are attractive.)
  • Driving (I hitched a ride from The District to The City. It was definitely more convenient than taking the bus. And cheaper. And I got door to door service!)
  • No pictures taken. (That's right. I didn't take a single picture the entire weekend! That's never happened before. I almost got it out multiple times, but never actually opened my purse to do it. Sorry no real documentation!)
And lastly, it's not a first because I always have fun when I go, but it was good to see old and new NYC friends I've met since going there. And a special thanks for a wonderful weekend with Carly and Liz, for Liz playing hostess and Carly keeping me entertained! Love!

No comments: