My roommates and I left for church kind of late today. We walked into Sacrament Meeting during the second verse of the opening song. We sang, it was a song I liked, Redeemer of Israel, I was glad.
The song ended and we waited for the opening prayer. No one moved towards the podium. I looked up on the stand and recognized both of the co-chairs from the committee I was on. That's when I thought, "I think I'm the opening prayer giver!" I practically leaped from my chair and booked it to the front--all the way from the back, the overflow section. As I walked up there, the bishopric member conducting was looking off to the other side and gestured to someone in the front row to come up and give a prayer. But then he saw me. There was hesitation on my part as I tried to decide whether or not to stash myself in a row or keep walking to the stand. They gestured to me to keep going to the stand. And the substitute prayer giver gracefully returned to his seat in the front row. When I got to the microphone I tried to steady my voice and calm my breathing-- especially since I wanted to avoid making one of those loud breathing noises into the mic at all costs! The prayer was short because I was still rattled from forgetting and running out of breath from practically running in heels, and also feeling embarrassed. (Besides, its not like I could give an apology before the prayer!) But, I made it. I gave the prayer. I had lots of comments, teasing and chuckles from people about forgetting the prayer, but I'm mostly just glad my roommates talked me into wearing a cute outfit, because if my first real public debut in front of the ward was to be an embarrassing moment, I'm just glad I could look somewhat cute doing it!
4 comments:
So sad I missed that moment! :) And you guys were late to church?! WHAT?! :)
This is awesome!! I had some opening prayer drama yesterday too! My husband was to blame. He told me a couple of weeks ago I was giving the opening prayer yesterday but apparently they changed their mind and asked someone else. Well I forgot all about it until in the middle of the opening song. I hadn't been listening to the Bishop as he announced who was supposed to say the prayer since I was wrangling my baby and the program said "by invitation". I asked Brian if the Bishop had announced my name. Well of course he had heard that it was someone else but he totally messed with me and said "I think so!" I was all panicky and trying to get eye contact with the Bishop to see if it was me. I was sweating and getting super nervous when the song ended. Thankfully I hesitated and saw that someone else got up! I would have been the jerk that just gets up and decides I needed to give a prayer! Brian thought it was hilarious, I guess I did too after my heart stopped racing!
I am a witness...it was awesome! I don't think I've ever seen Lauren's face so red!!
Hahahaha! I love you, Lauren!!! I have NO DOUBT that you were wearing a cute outfit. But I have to say that I think your charming personality is enough for you to make EVERY moment okay!!! I love you! (Okay, I do realize this sounds like I'm infatuated with you or something! And maybe I am??!! :) Haha, but really, I just think you are so adorable with the best personality ever. I'm sure everyone loved your moment just because it was YOU!)
Post a Comment