Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lifetime to do (Post 7)

I was talking to a friend today about how he liked my lifetime to do posts. Which reminded me that I've been neglecting those and my blog. (Actually, that's pretty presumptuous of me to assume that any of you actually want to read these either. But here ya go!) As I sit here and think of something to write and procrastinate filling out a taxi voucher for my boss I realize that what I'd really rather be doing here is the next post on my list.

Number 7: Be an art museum tour guide. 
(Or just tour guide somewhere cool.)

 
(Painting from Belvedere Museum in Vienna but I got the picture from THIS blog. Found via google image search.)

At BYU I took the docent class at the Museum of Art. I wanted to be a tour guide. Actually, I took some career test in a class my freshman year at BYU and it had a few options of things for me to be. Only two really stand out right now. 1.) Counselor 2.) Tour guide. I crossed counselor off that list within the first month of taking psychology. It was terrible. I hated that class so much. But being a tour guide has always kind of stuck with me. Yeah you'd probably have to deal with stupid tourists and people who don't really care what they're looking at because they're only at the National Gallery to see "that one famous painting that their coworker told them they should see" blah blah blah, but you'd also get people who love history or art, who are so excited to finally see a painting by Monet or DaVinci or see the chair George Washington sat in. (you get me right?) Unfortunately these jobs are volunteer. Meaning I don't want to work 40 hours a week and then spend my Saturdays volunteering. But I can't exactly quit my job either to do it. 

I don't love my job right now. I don't hate it either. It's kind of like, eh, it's my job. People don't always love their jobs. But I'd rather have a job that I love. But being a tour guide would probably get that way after a while too right? 

Maybe I can just quit my job and start making books again and sell them on etsy. Or maybe I could figure out how to be an event planner who specializes in weddings. (Do I even have the organization skills for something that involved? I don't even know.)

This is now a jumbled post. 

And if you want to see funny pictures go to Google image search: tour guide. For some reason all the Asian ones are extra funny. See:

But, I might have to wait to be retired to do this one. Makes sense why they always seem to be old...

3 comments:

Michelle said...

i feel good about us being friends. thanks for the comments, they made me laugh.

i think you should quit your job, volunteer at an art museum and make lisa support you. i will come visit and we'll make lisa take us all out to dinner.

Megan Morgan said...

i HATED psychology. like HATED. and got a D+ to prove it. yikes. and you would make the best tour guide...like cute artsy suits? fun! (why does every occupation result in a desire for a new wardrobe,outfit, accessory?) have fun with jess!!!

Melissa said...

Yay for the docent class at BYU! And we REALLY need to get together soon. It sounds like we're going through similar stuff right now. Job is meh, all we want to do is be tour guides and make books. Let's do it!