Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Stifling!
Today I had a flashback of Egypt while sitting on the metro.
Let me explain.
We went in the pyramid that's behind us in the picture. I was so excited. Seriously. I remember my sixth grade history teacher, Ms. Williams, tell us about going into the pyramids and I had wanted to go ever since. There's not a whole lot of room in the tunnel leading into the great chamber in the middle and you're walking hunched over and people are walking in the opposite direction directly next to you. There are dips and rises as you make your way to the chamber. And worst of all, it's hot. Stiflingly hot. So hot and humid in there that the walls are wet and sticky from the condensation of sweat. The hand rails are sticky and left our hands smelling like vinegar from touching them to keep balance. I thought the great chamber would provide some relief from the nastiness experienced from the tunnel, it didn't. Despite being in a dark space out of direct sunlight, it was worse. I wanted to explore the room, climb down into the area where the sarcophagus once rested but was disgusted when I felt the walls and they were wet. The walls were wet from the sweat of people. Ew. I was dripping sweat down my back, my arms were getting sweaty, my face and head were pouring sweat down my neck. And after taking in as much as I could, I booked it back outside, into the direct noon sunlight, the 100 degree weather and felt immense and immediate relief. I had never been so glad to be in 100 degree heat in my life. And that was the one and only time.
Today was a close second. I waited for the metro to come after work. It was pretty hot and it had been all day. I had cut lunch short that afternoon because it was just somewhat miserable even in the shade. So, I waited for the metro on the un-air-conditioned platform for the train to come. I was anxious for the train to come because my shirt would show sweat when wet and I didn't want it to show. So, when I stepped onto the train and realized immediately that I had walked into a sauna I was really disappointed. My face must have reflected the pain my lungs were feeling as they breathed in the stale hot air because someone said jokingly, "Welcome to Hell." I sat in an empty seat and was soon feeling nauseous thanks to the horrendous heat I couldn't wait to get off. In fact, I was practically willing the driver to go faster, and silently praying that there would be no delays.
I thought of Egypt and coming out of that pyramid and knew I would be just as happy getting off that train.
I think I'm going to start having to pray for air conditioned metro cars to come my way. That's not too much to ask is it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh you poor thing. I have felt like that every day on the metro this summer. I am dripping sweat by the time I get to work every day.
P.S. I am in your living room right now using your internet. Everyone is asleep. It's kind of creepy. Thanks for letting me be here.
Oh my goodness the inside of that pyramid was miserable!! I had that same feeling as we emerged into the chamber - for some reason I thought it would feel way better in there than in the tunnel. Not so.
I'm so sorry you have to travel by metro every day! Some mornings I see you waiting at the bus stop as I drive by to work. Often I'm a little too cold as the A/C blasts on me, and then I remember you guys have at least 30 hot, sweaty minutes before you're in A/C at the office. I feel terrible about that!
Amen! I think the pyramids are amazing - on the outside. The inside is disgusting, as you said. =) Edinburgh does not believe in air-conditioning because it never gets hotter than 75 degrees, but let me tell you, after living in an icebox for 3/4 of a year, 70 degrees and humidity feels scorching! I think Scotland has ruined my internal temperature gauge. Your metro trip reminded me of my experience on the bus yesterday. Hot. Crowded. Sweaty. Basically miserable. I debated with myself whether or not I should just jump off and walk home. The joys of public transportation. =)
I think I was on the same train yesterday with Lisa. It was terrible!
hahaha
I literally thought I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen in there! It was like the sweat and germs of 1000 3rd world countries were squeezed into my lungs. I feel your pain.
Post a Comment