Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jess

Jess, me and Ellie


Jess and Me at lunch.


At the Portland Temple

Jess went into the MTC this week. She is going to be a wonderful missionary. Cami, Emma, Grandma, Grandpa and I went to Eugene last weekend to go to Jess's farewell talk and to have some time with her before she left for the Singapore, Indonesian speaking mission that she was called to. I think I just want to say a few things about how much I admire Jess. I don't think I could have gone on a mission at 22, with a serious boyfriend, and one semester left of school. I feel like I did it the easy way. I wanted to go, I had nothing to hold me back from going, and so I went! Jess had everything to hold her back, and she didn't want to go when she was officially eligible to go. But she is going to be great. I thought I'd share my highlights from her farewell talk:
  • Mosiah 29:3-- the sons of Mosiah want to serve missions and have been completely forgiven for their past. She elaborated saying how merciful Heavenly Father is for letting imperfect beings proclaim His perfect message.
  • Come What May, and Love It-- she'll be doing this a lot on her mission and has been doing that ever since she decided she was going to serve.
  • She was called to serve, and she has not doubted that those impressions to serve were from the Lord.
Jess was poised and collected as she spoke, but she was also heartfelt and emotional. She had the perfect combination for her talk.

We picked her up from the airport in Salt Lake on Wednesday and drove down to the MTC stopping at Guru's for dinner since she was going to miss it at the MTC. We waited for her companion, Sister McCurdy, to meet her at the front desk but she must not have heard the page. Around 6:15 the MTC worker took Jess to her orientation and we said bye. There really wasn't a lot of tears. Jess looked good walking away and I was really excited for her to start her mission. Here are some more pictures:


At the airport. I don't know what the face I'm making is...


Kissing Jess outside the MTC.


Jess, having just been missionary-ified.


Waiting for Sister McCurdy, Jess's MTC companion.


Saying goodbye.


Jess being taken off to her orientation by an MTC worker. (Sister McCurdy never showed...)

No comments: