Friday, August 21, 2009

Mystery

I’ve decided to become a detective on the side. Now you’re wondering what kind of detective and what my first case will be. Actually, I have no real desire to be a detective, but I’m nosey and I want info.

So the mystery is this: I started my new job Wednesday. I don’t know what happened to the lady who worked here before me, but I’m guessing she didn’t retire. My desk was a mess. The equipment was dirty (equipment meaning the mouse, the keyboard, the phone, the calculator) and required some serious disinfecting. There is a pair of old lady glasses on the desk still; a Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers Meal (it’s one of those meals you add water to and microwave); a foot massager under the desk and various bottles of lotion. The massager kind of grosses me out and I’m trying to figure out how I might get rid of it. The drawers are a mess and the small drawer under the desk that holds pens and things smelled like puke, or maybe sour milk. There was a huge pile of papers that were supposed to be recycled but why weren’t they? So I went through them. Some needed to be shredded (private info like social security numbers) and others could just be regular recycled. So as I’m cleaning everything I’m kind of grossed out. I suppose I am kind of a germa-a-phobe but I didn’t think I was. But when the dirt came off the mouse I was really kind of grossed out. And while I’m cleaning I can’t help but think that there’s no way I’d leave my desk in this mess. So it got me wondering what happened to the lady before me. Was she fired? Did she quit really fast? Was she relocated? My supervisor was asked what happened to her by another employee and she just answered, “She is no longer on the contract.” Hm… fishy. I told my roommate who works here at AID the name of the person I replaced and she laughed telling me that the lady was moved five times in the last year. So, I’m really wanting to know what happened to her now! Fired? Force quit? Just quit? Stopped coming to work? I NEED to know. But I’ll never ask. So I guess I won’t ever become that detective after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How... pleasant.