So as I walked around my area today I thought about a few things that I'm going to share.
1. I can't help but think of missionary tracting every time I see giant groups of apartment buildings. And then I can't help but envision the pattern I would take if I had to tract these buildings. It's incredibly dorky, but then I remind myself that the last time I lived in a big city I was on my mission and we'd get excited for huge neighborhoods of giant buildings. I also do it with cute neighborhoods like mine because it would break up the monotony of apartment tracting. The neighborhood would be perfect for early fall when you don't have sweat dripping down your back when standing.
2. I like going through the Pentagon station because I like seeing all the people in their different military uniforms. It's nice to be able to be patriotic and not feel looked down on or mocked for being "conservative" or "government loving" as I regularly felt among all the liberals in Eugene. For the record, I love our country and I find it ridiculous that if you express those sentiments in a more liberal state (like Oregon) it's seen as negative. So I love seeing them in their uniforms. See, look how cute Elvis looks in his.
3. While we're on the subject of our country, I love that I can go to the museums for free. So far I've gotten snidbits of the American History, National Gallery of Art, Natural History, American Art and Portrait Gallery museums. I got my job offer while I was in the American History museum and I want to head back there to finish the Americans at War exhibition I was in. I'm a sucker for history and sometimes it seems the more depressing it is the more I'm sucked in. I'm fascinated by WWII. But when in the museum the other day, everytime they had a testimonial of the good things an American did I found myself getting choked up. I though, gosh why am I so emotional? I suppose it's the heat. Right?
4. I love public transportation. I especially love the Metro. I love driving too, but it's just so nice to use public transportation and I feel like I'm doing something good for the environment. And a plus is that I get a lot of good people watching in and who doesn't like that?
5. And lastly, I found a shop that sells Kinder Buenos. If that isn't a gift from heaven I don't know what is. I resisted buying one today but I know where to find it in the future for a special treat. Hooray!





2 comments:
I'm glad some people enjoy something I outwardly despise...public transportation!
I also love public transportation, it makes me feel free and confident and independent. Sure I drive Chris' car sometimes but with public transportation all these new ideas come to me of places I could go. My bus goes past the Hult Center and the downtown post office and that old Victorian house. It goes to the mall and my dentist's office and Oakway center and the library and the university. It is the wunderbus, and every time I ride I think "I could get off there and do something for half an hour then catch the next one and be on my way! But if I'm driving, each destination is a drag because you have to park the car and pay for parking and blah blah blah. On the bus, you can read!
Also, history is depressing. The more you know the more depressed you get but you also thirst to know more and more and get more and more depressed. Beware the temptations, it is a downward spiral.
Post a Comment