Tuesday, October 20, 2009

AGAIN??

Here we go, another thought about my mission. I understand you're sick of it by now, but I'm going to post anyway.

I think about my mission a lot. Like, a lot a lot. I wonder if it's abnormal. I don't remember thinking/talking about it as much as I do when I was at BYU, but for some reason it's always at the front of my mind. I think it's probably because I have two sisters on missions and I'm so proud of them and think of them often. But today I was on Facebook and up on my Newsfeed popped an album update from a girl who just got back from Poland. I met her before she left. She knew my sister's roommate's brother and we were invited over for dinner to talk about Poland and get her excited about serving a mission there. Today as I looked through her pictures I had an overwhelming sense of jealousy when I saw all the pictures with missionaries.

Now, I loved my mission-- (You all know that.) I loved the members. I loved the missionaries. I loved my companions. Oh how I loved my wonderful companions. All of them. I didn't get a single bad one. Really. I have to be the single most luckiest person alive. That and both Heavenly Father and the mission president knew I'd be a terribly depressed/bad worker if I had bad companions-- But, a few weeks ago in church I looked at the sister missionaries with their long skirts, faded button up shirts, dorky looking blazers, nylons and ugly shoes and thought, "I am so glad I'm not a missionary anymore."


But today as I looked through the pictures from this girl's mission I wanted to go back. I wanted to go back to P-days spent figuring out what we were going to do that day in a crowded internet cafe. I wanted to go back to shopping at Tesco and discovering new flavors of yogurt or good cereal combinations. I wanted to go back to P-days spent watching Disney movies at the chapel and hanging out with the district at the elders' apartment with pizza. I wanted to go back to Zone Conference "Buki Breaks" and Sister Sleepovers. I wanted to go back to P-day trips to Krakow, Concentration Camps, castles, walled cities and the sea. I wanted to go back to a time where I had a strong spiritual connection with all my friends.

I'm glad I'm not on a mission right now. I have new things to experience and love, but for those moments, I wanted to be back on my mission.

(And to Marie, I'm sorry for posting a picture of the sea, but I'm glad you went there so I don't feel too bad about it. Love you girl!)

2 comments:

marie said...

you know me too well, you're right i would be so sad but i did get to go there in the end! at least i made the picture list though, and for that i'm eternally grateful! what a crazy district that was but so fun!

Cheryl said...

When it was good, it was really good. This post made me feel VERY nostalgic. I too think about it all the time. And thanks for the bit about having good companions. Same goes for me.