This morning as I stood in the rain with my umbrella waiting for the bus I realized I was singing "Belly Up to the Bar" in my head. Do you know this song? You can watch this clip if you don't. But, fast forward to 3:14 if you want to just watch the "Unsinkable Molly Brown" part. The line that kept going in my head was, "Ooonly drink when you're all alone or with somebody else! Belly Up! Belly Up to the bar boys! Better loosen your belts!"
So I'm standing there waiting for the bus with "Belly Up to the Bar" stuck in my head and I'm having the urge to dance around. Maybe the fact that I'm wearing a dress that has a full skirt, with boots made me feel like Molly in the bar scene, I don't know. But I wanted to full on dance and sing that song at the top of my lungs. (You'll be disappointed to know I didn't.)
Anyway, I'm standing there waiting for the bus. I realize that the bus is not only late, but I haven't seen any of the other buses come by and I'm wondering if there was some kind of bus strike or something and if I was going to have to go home and beg my roommate to take me to the Metro Stop. Right as I'm thinking this I see the 10A come up. (Now, the 10A will take me to a Metro Stop, it will also take about twenty bus stops longer to get there than the 10E. My problem is, the 10A and the 10E come to different bus stops. They're close together, but not quite close enough that it's a quick cross the street or something.)
So, quick recap: 10A at stoplight. I decide real fast that I don't want to wait for the 10E. I start running.
There I am, running down the sidewalk trying to keep my umbrella steady my red tight-ed legs going as fast as they can since I DO NOT want to miss this bus, when I see the 10E pull up behind the 10A. I stop and quickly turn around and run back to the bus stop.
Ok, I know buses have windows, and I know people don't have anything to do when stopped at a red light but look out the windows, but in my mind, I was pretty sure no one saw my dorky little sprint down the street, about face, and run back. Nope, no so. I get on the bus and see a guy who's frequently on it and he comments on my little run to the bus. I had figured that at least no one on my bus would see me. (Maybe the 10A, but definitely not the 10E.) Then I find out that other friends were on the 10A and they saw me run to the bus too.
Great.
So this morning I provided two entire buses with entertainment this morning with my split second decision making skills.
5 comments:
I love love love "The Unsinkable Molly Brown." I think I might have to go home and watch it! Sorry I missed you last week. I left right after sacrament.
We need to make a movie about your life.
i think that was very thoughtful of you to provide such wholesome enterainment. way to be!
hey whatever happened to publisher publications or whatever it's called by your one friend kristen... i always liked reading that one?
That makes me sad that I can't hear the RGs singing that song together.
Sure do miss you Lauren. Love you lots
Post a Comment