Wanter: (n.) The part of the brain that turns something unnecessary into a necessity.
This is illustrated by my somewhat frivolous purchases of the past.
Example A:
When I had my first overseas, no family experience (Vienna) I went crazy on buying things. I found myself buying things I didn't need: glass flowers while on a trip to Venice; a knitted shawl poncho thing; fairy wings (Halloween, but I didn't take them home, so clearly not needed); scarves in every city visited; and lots more that I'm getting embarrassed as I write.
Example B:
When I was on my mission it was so cold that first winter I went out and bought practically the first full length down coat I could find. (It looked like a sleeping back with a head hole and sleeves.) I also bought boots. These boots were wool lined and had cute faux fur trim on the top. There were even little tassle things that swished around when I walked. I've provided a picture so you can get the full idea:
Great boots right? So, I'm fully set for my winter clothes for two whole winters right? Wrong. I bought another coat and another pair of boots the next winter because it wasn't as cold and I wanted to look cuter. (I realized about three months into my mission that Eddie Bauer clothes were not ok to wear on a mission because I looked like a dorky middle aged lady.) I started frequenting H&M on P-days.
Although I'm getting better. I learned this while in Jerusalem and had to suffer the consequences.
So, I need to fix my wanter.
ut before I do that, I want a new camera. I neeeed a new camera. This is because I want to post beautiful pictures on this here blog. I have a problem, I want a nice one. I want one that's going to take beautiful pictures. I want one that has cool features. I want one that might require me to take a class to learn how to use. Is that so very picky of me? My sister Emma is in Europe right now. She got a new camera before she went because one of the classes she gets to take is a photography class. She takes beautiful pictures. Like this:
She has this camera. I want it.
Buuuut, I also want this:
or this:
So, does the fact that I'm not going to get both (...yet) mean I've broke my wanter?
Probably not, but it's a start, right?






7 comments:
Um, that camera looks like it takes fantastic pictures. But I also like the sofa bed thingy... I really miss H and M and I made the same mistake of going to Eddie Bauer before my mission too... Haha!
Oh my gosh! I totally want a camera like that too! I'm dying to take a photography class and learn how to take beautiful pictures!
I definitely think you should go for it!
I don't know. That camera is pretty nice, and that photo is beautiful. You could look at getting that camera as an investment in memories. How important to you are your memories? Do you want quality memories, or cheap, crappy low-resolution memories?
I think I might break that wanter and invest in the camera...if it were me.
that camera is the best effing thing of my life. wow sorry, pardon my french. i would get the cam. you can just sit on your bed and look at your pics! i freaking love my camera. except that the battery just ran out and im in avignon :(
oh my gosh i want emmas camera too! lets take a photography tutorial together.
Lauren I love you and I too love that we found each other's blogs. PS you're hilarious!
i just read the title of this post off to the side, and i read it as, "my wat-er isn't broken." good thing
Post a Comment