Friday, May 21, 2010

Rompers

Today at work I took a poll amongst gchatters. "What do you think of rompers?" Accompanied by two links: one to Jcrew, and the other to Urban Outfitters. Then I sent the following email to my roommate/co-worker who is contemplating purchasing one as a swimsuit cover up:



The Great Romper Poll*

Like: 6 (this includes you and co-worker)         Dislike: 7 (this includes me)

Think you can only wear them if you have the right body: 5 (one of those votes is me)


*Note: some people polled have not returned comment.


Some important quotes supporting the numbers above:
  • "I like them for the comfort factor, it's like the same feeling I have when I run into military people on the metro and am envious of their one piece jumpers." Erin 
  • "I just think they're hideous, I mean, the jumpsuit is never coming back in why would you think that a sleeveless sort version of it would work? Not too mention, unless you have the perfect body all that will do is accentuate the mid section and expose the upper leg which is not always pretty, indeed, rarely is it pretty." Lee 
  • "I think they're kind of cute, things usually grown on me, I don't love them now, but I also hated skinny jeans at first." Debbie 
  • "Yikes. Pass." Andrea 
  • "I think the right body type can pull them off, but would I wear them? Absolutely not." Amy 
  •  "Not a big fan.  People can get away with it, but generally not the most flattering on anyone.  If you bought some I will still be your friend though." Holly 
  •  "Cool. But your garments will show" Laney 
  •  "I'm not into the whole hipster scene. Suit yourself. I don't care for it. Not cool." Quinn
  • "Although they are clearly making an entrance into the summer 2010 scene and becoming less of an eye-sore each time I see a skinny girl rocking one, the risked camel toes and accentuated cellulite far out way the seldom romper success(-ish) story." Carly


I think I'd keep going but in reality it seems to be split about 50/50. But I still think they're ugly. 

Thoughts?

13 comments:

Erin Masi said...

I LOVE rompers. How I wish they looked cute on me...

Amanda said...

Yeah, I don't even like rompers on babies.

kel said...

Yuck. Not a fan. ...They just look kinda trashy to me, no matter who's wearing them.

kel said...

But actually, I just looked at the JCrew link, and I thought it was kinda cute. Maybe it would make a good bathing suit cover up, like your friend was looking for.

However, the image of the denim-ish one in this post? Never going to think it's cute.

Madame Palmkey said...

Awful, awful, awful. I have a pair of big baggy bibbers. I wear them for a few occasions
1) I have absolutely no clean pants of any kind
2) I plan to overeat and need the room
3) I want to impersonate a scarecrow
4) I'm having twinners rompers day with my mom. Its hot.

Amy Lovell said...

Ok, as a swimsuit cover up, that's one thing, but as an outfit...why bother making such a statement?

Emma said...

i have to say that i do like the rompers...i like them with tights when it's cold or pretty summery colors. i think they're great with a great jacket and shoes...and if i hadn't just come back from jerusalem with too many pitas on my body, i would say i would wear one. maybe one more like this from my default for fashion. they call it a jumper, but it's the same idea, right?: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=&id=18313296&catId=CLOTHES-SWIMWEAR-COVERUPS&pushId=CLOTHES-SWIMWEAR-COVERUPS&popId=CLOTHES-SWIMWEAR&sortProperties=&navCount=45&navAction=middle&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=072&colorName=YELLOW/WHITE%20STRIPE&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

Emma said...

yikes long link.

Meg said...

Two Words......Damn Cellulite.

Annie said...

I'm on the hater on the romper. That's my vote.

Carly April said...

out weigh*... not out way. momentary stupidity. my bad.

Lisa Marie said...

I lost it at the mention of camel toe, I almost laughed out loud and woke up my sleeping 2 year old. The garments showing comment was hilarious as well. I would never wear one. I think I have the leggs for it, but not the mid-section. I curse my mid-section daily. I'm trying to get over it, but it's hard. I will always miss my pre-baby belly. But I digress... I wouldn't wear one of those even if my body was perfect. They are hideous.

themisswhit said...

This DEFINITELY Deserves a comment! Y.U.C.K! U.G.L.Y.! H to the ell NO! Definitely trendy, but not fashionable! Maybe acceptable as a swim coverup BUT only if in the right material...like a jersey knit or terry cloth. amen.