When I was about half way there when everyone was loaded on the bus. I thought he would drive away. I hoped he would stay. He shut the doors to the bus. I waved my arms frantically. And you know what? He didn't drive away. He just waited.
It was so nice of him.
When I got to the Crystal City metro stop today I saw my train on the platform, I ran down the escalator and slipped in between the metro doors just as they were closing. I must have had a satisfied and surprised look on my face because a lady on the train raised her eyebrows a bit and smiled.
This story has a happy ending. Nothing bad happened the entire commute. The huge group of tourists blocking my path to my next train moved out of the way and poured into the car in front of me. And the escalator was working at my final destination. I remembered my badge for work and remembered all the things I needed for the day.
The whole point of telling you about my commute is to tell you about the best part. The best part of my morning commute, is when I actually stop reading whatever book I'm totally engrossed in. And look up while we're crossing the Potomac river. Looking out across to Washington D.C., seeing the Lincoln and the Washington Monuments, looking down the river to see Georgetown and the National Cathedral or just taking a moment to look at the sky. And this morning there was a beautiful sky, and I paused and snapped a picture:
I'm going to venture to say it's going to be a good day.
3 comments:
So it's crazy you know my sister-in-law! I had forgotten we are now in the same area.
Sometimes I just love DC so much.
Crossing the potomac was always my favorite part of my commute, too. I made it a point to ride the yellow line multiple times last week just so I could look at the pretty view, even when it meant i had to make multiple transfers for my actual stop. I'm a dork.
Post a Comment