I talk a lot. I've always talked a lot. Home videos show me talking a lot. Kindergarten Native American teaching units gave me my "Indian name" of Little-Babbling Brook (evidence of me talking a lot). I had my name on the board frequently for talking during class in Elementary school. (And once, I got a check next to my name and had to stay in during recess because my name was already on the board for talking and then I stuck my tongue out at Aaron Beach--next door neighbor and fastest boy in the class-- while he was passing out worksheets.) Two years in a row I was voted "Most Talkative" in my 4th/5th grade combined classes. Report cards frequently had the comment, "Fun to have in class" followed with, "Has a talking problem". Middle school found me frequently being called on because I was talking. By high school I had learned to keep my comments under my breath so I wouldn't get called on or so no attention came my way.
I never caused real disruption to the whole class. Actually, the teacher calling me out during the lesson was probably more disruption than the actual whispering I was doing caused. I wasn't a bad kid. I was a good kid. I loved all my elementary school teachers. (Mrs. Henry, Mrs. Stark, Ms. Nissel, Mrs. Good, Mr. Asmos, Ms. Ficke)
I just had a lot to say!
If you know me well, you know I frequently talk. I talk during church, during meetings, during meals, during commutes to and from work. I talk all day long in typing form. I just talk a lot.
It's a problem. I will often realize I'm talking a lot and try to reel it in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
There's a guy in my office who talks a lot. He give waaaaay too much information in our meetings. It's annoying. I find myself day dreaming and then realizing that he's still talking when I come to. I have to edit some information that he sent out. It should be one page or so, he gave me four. I'm annoyed.
Now I know how people feel when they read long blog posts. Or long emails. Or have to sit in a conversation with me when I feel like I'm talking and talking and talking. I really have to learn how to reel it in otherwise I'm going to be like this guy from work! (Well, perhaps not since I'm not quite so monotone and don't ever talk about agriculture and trade...)
6 comments:
The key difference between talking and blogging is that I chose to look up your blog and I chose to read the whole post. You didn't talk me to death on a car ride with no escape. Big difference.
I was laughing so hard as I read this. Every single one of my teachers in elementary school would make the comment "Could talk more" or "Is very quiet." I actually got an A- in my 11th grade English class because I wouldn't make mandatory comments in class. You are very entertaining when you talk so that makes us listeners have something fun to listen to (or read) ;) Write on!
We're soul mates, Lauren. Let's get married.
I used to get into trouble in elementary school for being disruptive. My teachers would punish me by making me write sentences, "I will not disrupt the class. I will not disrupt the class. I will not disrupt the class. I will not disrupt the class. I will not disrupt the class." 100, 150, 200+ times depending on how "disruptive" I was. Did you ever have to do that? Teaches you nothing really. I like your talking, you can be disruptive anytime...except when I'm sleeping. :)
Grandpa says I talk too much sometimes, maybe that's where you get it, ha.
hahaha, love it. loudmouths are necessary in this world, lauren. i have to remind my husband of that... every day. we're good for quiet people ; )
Post a Comment