Sunday, November 29, 2009

Qualifying Time

So, I'm flirting with the idea of running a Half Marathon in March and needed to run a race to qualify for it. To use a 10k to qualify you need to run it in 1:05:00. That's approximately a 10:27 minute mile.

As I ran the 10k on Thursday I thought, I gotta run this fast so I can qualify just in case I want to do it in March! But, because I decided to run it so last minute I hadn't trained or anything, making the race pretty difficult. I started having a really hard time running as we hit long gradual slopes and realizing that the course wasn't as flat as I had hoped. I slowed down. Waaaay down a couple of times, but I kept going. And I kept thinking to myself, "I just want to finish. I just want to be done. Qualifying doesn't matter anymore, just finish the race."

When I got to the finish line, Lisa was there waiting for me and I was so relieved to see her, and to be done.

Today I looked up the finishing times, to see if I even qualified. I ran the race in 1:05:01. I ran a 10:28 minute mile.

I don't qualify.

I don't qualify by ONE MEASLY SECOND.

But I finished and that's what matters. Right??

3 comments:

Rachel F. said...

One second?? Usually races with qualifying times will have a grace window of at least a few seconds, if not a full minute. Look into it..

I'm thinking of the National 1/2 Marathon in March. Which race are you looking at that requires a qualifying time?

marie said...

you qualify to me! how awesome that you ran the 10k i think that is wonderful!

laura said...

Ha! Major bummer... but I agree with Rachel, you should look into whether or not you can still qualify with that time. If not, I know there are a few half marathons here in NY that don't require a qualifying time! I did my first last year and am planning to do at least one this year. In any case, congrats on the 10K! I'm impressed that you did it without training at all!