- Opening my mission call. It was excitement, fear and extreme emotion all wrapped into one. We waited about 30 minutes for my dad to finish up surgery and get home so that he could see me open it in person. I cried when I saw Poland Warsaw after saying incredulously, "Oh. my. gosh."
- Getting home from my mission. My family had a banner, saying "Welcome Home Lauren!" spread out across the entrance into the Eugene Airport. Since I was the first one off the plane I ran through it like I was finishing a race. My mom hugged me so tight. And I'm pretty sure my dad cried.
- The moment Ewa said she would be baptized. I could hardly believe that what I was hearing was true. I think I asked a couple times to make sure I wasn't getting my Polish mixed up. After she left the chapel my companion and I hugged and kind of jumped up and down. There was probably a bit a squealing in there.
- Seeing the Pyramids for the first time*.I teared up. Everyone on the bus was screaming because they were RIGHT THERE. I have never wanted to see anything so bad my whole life. (Perhaps when I make it to Greece and the other places I posted in the previous post I'll have the same reaction.)
- Finishing my very last paper in college. It was a mixture of sadness and extreme happiness as I walked out of the JFSB on BYU's campus knowing that I would never be an undergrad again and at the same time wishing I had a whole 'nother semester. (Maybe because I wanted to take Bookbinding yet again.)
- Walking into the Celestial Room at the Portland Oregon Temple for the first time. Both sets of grandparents and my parents were in there waiting for me with big smiles. It was akin to coming home after being gone for a long time.
- Holding our new puppy all the way home from her breeders. When we got Lizzie (our first dog, who passed away a few years ago), we picked her up on Christmas Eve because she was a surprise for my youngest sister Rachel. I got to hold Lizzie the whole way home. She was so cute and little. I remember asking my mom for a dog in Kindergarten. We didn't finally get one until 14 years later when I was already in college, but I was still really excited.
- Standing at the top of Nevada Falls and realizing I did it. Last summer my mom, Rachel and I hiked Nevada Falls at Yosemite. I didn't want to do it but my mom talked us into going on that part of the hike instead of going half way up to just Vernal Falls. I wasn't totally physically up to the hike but I was glad I did it because it was really pretty.
- Impromptu talent show at our grandparent's house in Orem. My uncle apparently had a bright pink cape (made by my grandma), a flamboyant suit, top hat and sunglasses that he wore to a church dance once and performed to Shining Star. He redid the dance for us and no one has ever seen it since. (Not even his kids who weren't there.) The grandkids sang, danced and played musical instruments too, but Uncle Craig's Shining Star dance surpassed everything and has now just become a legend.
- Passing around treats in the car. I love treats. I think most people that know me know that. My family loves treats. We share them. And by sharing them that means we will buy anywhere from one to ten treats and pass them around the car, each person taking a bite and passing. Maybe you're a germ-a-phobe and this grosses you out. Well, we're obviously not, and we want to try all the treats. It's perfect.
*Thanks to Peter I actually have some documentation of that. Not the crying, but the excitement. Go HERE. (I hope you can see it!)
2 comments:
So I just read a bunch of your blog and it is SO SO SO CUTE! I love you! It was so fun to see a little of what is going on in your life and to remember how fun you are!
D'oh, sorry I missed you this weekend! Did you have fun? And I definitely need to come down to DC again--it's been a while. Or maybe we should just go to Machu Picchu together?
Post a Comment